We’ve been really busy picking this week – and have lots more wonderful fresh local produce to offer! Place your order through the REKO Bowmanville order page on Facebook, visit us at the Clarington Farmers’ Market at the Newcastle Arena on Sundays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., or contact us.
- Delicata – The sweet potato squash. Eat the skin
- Celariac – Celery root. Basic ingredient for Italian soffritto. Flavourful and stores long in the fridge with greens removed.
- Kale – Green Curly or Tuscan
- Green Onions
- Summer Onions – 4 types:
- Cipollini – Cook or caramelize
- Yellow – Standard Cooking Onion
- Red – Standard Red Sweet Onion
- Fresh Garlic
- mixed varieties
- Beets – Red, Gold & Chioggia (Candy Cane)
- Eggplant – Long Asian or Italian Purple Stripe
- Italian Frying Peppers – Sweet, nice in salads or cooked.
- Garlic Scape Pesto – Scapes, Basil, Sunflower seeds, parmesan cheese, olive oil – many uses. Dilute, mix, season, dip, and marinade.
Second Season Farm Newcastle grows all the vegetables we sell, maintained with minimal tillage, crop rotations, compost, and the integration of perennial woody hedgerows. No use of pesticides or synthetic chemicals. We aim to build a robust and alive soil that produces healthy produce for our community.